October 17, 2008
Primate Labs Publishes MacBook and MacBook Pro Performance Benchmark
Primate Labs have posted performance benchmark test results comparing the new MacBook and MacBook Pro to previous generation models. The benchmarks were run for processor and memory performance only and not for graphics performance. But with new chipset and faster DDR3 memory there should be some improvement in the processor and memory performance. Read More
Posted by GG at 12:00 PM No comments:
October 16, 2008
T-Mobile G1 Pre-orders are Nowhere Near 1.5 Million
Last week, Motley Fool reported that T-Mobile has sold 1.5 million G1 handset through preorders. That time we explained that the Motley Fool was just assuming the number based on the report that T-Mobile has tripled their preorders. Today, Engadget is reporting that their source close to the situation has told them that T-Mobile G1 preorders – while very strong are nowhere near the 1.5 million figure being randomly published by Motley fool. Read More
Posted by GG at 7:25 PM No comments:
Apple Issues 2008 Environmental Update
Apple’s CEO Steve Jobs released a statement about how far the company has come in it efforts to protect the environment. The highlights are as follows:
In this environmental update, I’d like to inform you of our recent progress and introduce you to a groundbreaking system of reporting that we believe is unmatched in our industry. Last year we announced the unprecedented goal of eliminating polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and brominated flame retardants (BFRs) from Apple products by the end of 2008. I’m proud to report that all of Apple’s new product designs are on track to meet our 2008 year-end goal. Read More
Posted by GG at 5:30 PM No comments:
Google Android Also Features Kill Switch Like the iPhone
The blogosphere went ballistic when few months back Apple revealed that it has a kill switch in the iPhone OS that can be used to stop bad applications from running on the iPhone. Many bloggers were angry that Apple would put a kill switch in OS that could destroy users apps that they had bought and paid for. Now Google has also put a similar kill switch in their new Android OS, which Google calls completely open software. Read More
Posted by GG at 1:31 PM 2 comments:
Nokia Experiencing iPhone Effect, Smartphone Shipment Drops
Nokia today reported their financial revenue for third quarter of 2008 and it showed an increasing shift of customers away from Nokia’s high-end devices. Nokia shipped 117.8 million handsets in Q3, which was down 3 percent from previous quarter, but was up 5 percent in year-over-year growth. However the cellphone market grew at faster rate than Nokia’s growth rate, as a result the company’s market share dropped from 40 percent in June end to 38 percent in Q3 2008. Nokia saw a drop in its smartphone shipment from 16 million to 15.5 million. Read More
Posted by GG at 11:40 AM No comments:
October 15, 2008
New Apple MacBook and MacBook Pro Selling Like Hot Cake
Yesterday, Apple announced their new MacBook and MacBook Pro laptops. And, even though many analysts complained that the price point was high, it looks like the new notebooks are selling like hot cakes. Several blogs are reporting that stock of both the laptops is depleted in many retail stores. GearLog is reporting that San Francisco’s Apple Store ran out this morning. Read More
Posted by GG at 9:44 PM No comments:
Apple Now the Third Largest PC Vendor in US with Nearly 10 Percent Share
Market research firm Gartner published their PC market share data for third quarter of 2008 and Dell came in top with 29.5 percent market share followed by HP with 25.7 percent share. Apple came in third place with 9.5 percent market share, Acer was fourth with 8.9 percent and Toshiba was fifth with 5.6 percent. If you consider year-over-year growth, Apple topped everyone with 29.4 percent growth, which was nearly 6.4 times the industrial average of 4.6 percent. Read More
Posted by GG at 1:45 PM No comments:
Microsoft Officially Names Vista’s Successor Windows Seven
Mike Nash of Windows Vista Team Blog reported yesterday that Microsoft would keep the codename “Windows 7” of its next version of Windows operating system as the official name. In our opinion Windows XP was the best name Microsoft used for its OS and Windows Vista was the worst. Windows 7 is actually not bad, we normally prefer numbers for software update like Flash 10 or Mac OS X 10.5. Mike Nash said on the blog: Read More
Posted by GG at 12:50 PM No comments:
October 14, 2008
Apple Unveils New 15.4-inch MacBook Pro; Updates 17-inch MacBook Pro and MacBook Air
Along with the 13-inch MacBook, Apple also introduced the new 15.4-inch MacBook Pro, which uses the same manufacturing process and glass trackpad found on the 13-inch model. The new 15-inch MacBook Pro has precision unibody enclosure crafted from a single block of aluminum, resulting in thinner, more durable and incredibly beautiful designs.
“Traditionally notebooks are made from multiple parts. With the new MacBook, we’ve replaced all of those parts with just one part—the unibody,” said Jonathan Ive, Apple’s senior vice president of Industrial Design. “The MacBook’s unibody enclosure is made from a single block of aluminum, making the new MacBook fundamentally thinner, stronger and more robust with a fit and finish that we’ve never even dreamed of before.” Read More
Posted by GG at 4:46 PM No comments:
Apple Introduces New Aluminum MacBook for $1,299
Apple today unveiled all new MacBook that redefines notebook design, but dramatically increases the entry price for the new MacBook. Apple says that the new notebook offers pro-level graphics performance for $700 less, but again the truth is it features a integrated NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics card that is better than Intel’s integrated graphics, nonetheless its no where near dedicated graphics card. The laptop has LED-backlit display and new large glass multi-touch trackpad. Read More
Posted by GG at 4:31 PM No comments:
October 13, 2008
Live Coverage of Apple Notebook Event Starts at 10 AM PST
- We will cover all the models in detail on TechzTalk
- We would like to thank engadget for the images from the event.
- That's all from the event. thanks for reading.
- The Q & A is over.
- Q:How about touchscreens in laptops?
- A: So far it hasn't been a lot of sense to us, but we may see it in the future.
- Did Apple design the motherboard in house?
- A: Yes
- Q:Are you going to have matte screens or just go with glossy glass ones? How about with reflection problems?
- A: Just glass, we're going to compensate for the reflection by pushing more light through the display.
- Q: Is MacBook going to steal some demand from the MacBook Pro?
- A: Pros buy MacBook Pros. So we're going to see a refresh demand in both spaces.
- Q: what about 17-inch model?
- A: It's being refreshed today as well.
- Q: NO Blu-ray?
- A: Steve says "Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt. It's great to watch movies, but licensing is a big problem. we are waiting to things to settle down."
- Why no Blu-ray and HDMI
- A: HDMI is limited in resolution.
- Q: Is Apple the first to use Nvidia chipset
- A: yes we are the first to bring it to the market.
- Now Q & A starts.
- He is talking about his health, tells his blood pressure is 110/70.
- Another video of someone using the new glass trackpad.
- Steve is now showing video of about construction of the new laptops. it like a documentary about the whole process.
- Apple shares will definitely fall after this announcement.
- MacBooks will also get SSD option. Steve says "So we think this will be a huge success. So two new notebook families. We're building both in a whole new way.
- Apple will also introduce a second model for $1,599 with 2.4GHz processor, 4GB RAM and 320GB hard drive. Both the models are shipping today.
- It will have 13.3-inch LED backlit screen, 2.0Ghz processor (what the ..), 2GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce 9400M card and 160GB hard drive. that is very costly for a Macbook.
- It shares the same screen casing and glass tracked found on higher end Pro model. But it will be $700 cheap compared to higher and MacBook Pro model. it will be priced $1,299.
- Apple is introducing new MacBook on top of the white plastic model. It is just like PRo model just smaller.
- He says that Apple is hearing that people want metal enclosure, faster graphics and LED screens. so Apple has figured out a way to bring this to the new MacBooks.
- Now it one more thing. He says that MacBook has been the best-selling mac ever. He says that they will keep selling current lower end model and will now lower the price to $999. the nightmare is coming true. they will price the new model for more.......
- Steve now shows the new 24-inch display that will have 1920 x 1200 resolution, built-in isight, LED backlighting and will be priced $899. it will be available in November.
- Steve is talking about eco-friendly design of the new laptop. and says that the MacBook Pro has earned Epeat gold rating.
- The says that this will be the first MacBook Pro with SSD option. it is less than one inch thick at 0.95-inch. the base configuration will cost $1,999 and include 2.4GHz core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR3 RAM and NVIDIA 9600 256MB. A second models priced $2,499 will have 2.53GHz processor,, 4GB DDR3 RAM and 512MB 9600 card.
- He says it incredibly thin and light. Apple is including both 9400 as integrated graphics or 9600M 256/512MB for higher graphic performance. 5 hours battery life with 9400 and 4 hours with 9600.
- Now he is showing the casing of the new MacBook Pro
- It will have Backlit keyboard, iSight, magnetic latch, LED display, next generation graphics, glass trackpad, and mini display port.
- Now Steve is introducing the MacBook Pro, he says the new laptop is exactly like the leaked photos.
- He compares GeForce 9400M to Intel's integrated graphics showing 6.2x improvement. Now he is talking about the new Track Pad -- a large multitouch glass trackpad. it is 39 percent larger than present trackpad. he says that Apple optimized the friction of the glass for easy scrolling. The trackpad will have no buttons. The entire trackpad is asingle large button.
- Steve is back on stage. he says we also have some new graphics for notebooks.. Nvidia talked to us about an amazing graphics part they wanted us to use. they called it Nvidia GeForce 9400M. it an amazing chipset with GPu on it, Which delivers 5X faster graphics compared to our old model.
- We discovered that if we start with single piece of aluminum we could make lighter and stronger part. we start with a 2.5 pounds piece of metal and end up with a piece that weighs a quarter of a pound. Apple cleans, collects and recycles all the material.
- We have developed a new way to make the frame of the notebook.
- He says the the frame of the notebook is made of multiple parts. to make the notebook strong various parts are added make it bit thicker and heavier.
- He is talking about new ways to build notebooks. Jony tells that he would like to show how Apple build current MacBook Pro.
- Steve is back on stage and invites Jony Ive to talk about notebooks.
- He is showing the sales graph. Apple has already sold more computer this year than in 2007.
40 more minutes to go.
- Apple US retail market share has gone from single digit to 17.6 percent. he is showing the graph. he says one out every three dollars spend on computer in US goes to a Mac.
- Tim talks about other reasons like the Apple retail store and customer services.
- He give the fourth reason as "Vista" and talks about PC vs Mac. he is now playing I am a PC ad in which PC banishes the Mac.
- He says the other two reason for growth are software and compatibility. now the Apple computer can run both Windows and Mac side by side.
- He is telling that the growth is because Apple's computers are superior to other in market. he is going through the mac lineup.
- Tim welcomes everyone and says last quarter we sold 2.5 million macs, we are seeing 2 to 3x growth in our mac business.
- He invites Tim Cook on stage to cover the state of the Mac business.
- Steve is on stage and welcomes everyone.
- The light are dimming, its about to star.
- It's almost time. come on Steve
- There is a discussion going around about the classical music played in the hall.
- We are in the hall and Apple logo is on the screen in front.
- 15 more minutes to go.
- There are about 100-150 people here, not the usual large size Apple event.
- Apple online store is down now with the familiar message "We'll be back soon."
Two more hours before Apple Notebook Event Starts. To pass your time you can read the rumor roundup for the upcoming event.
TechzTalk will be doing live coverage of Apple’s Notebook event on October 14th. Last Thursday, Apple invited media for a press event at Apple’s campus in Cupertino, California. Live coverage of the event will start at 1 PM EST, 12 PM CST, 11 AM MST and 10 AM PST on Tuesday October 14th. Bookmark this page for live Notebook event coverage.
Posted by GG at 2:46 PM 6 comments:
Apple Files Patent For Voice Recognition in Mobile Devices
Apple has filed a patent for voice recognition in devices like iPhone, iPod and even Apple TV. The filing examples the concept of an iPhone supporting the recognition technology and it adds that same concept can be applied to other devices also. Apple will not only use software, but also add new hardware to the devices to improve voice recognition. The company plans to use “voice-to-command-analyzer” that will decide whether to process an audio input as meaningless or request an action via the software. This technique will reduce false command input and will make devices respond faster to voice commands. Read More
Posted by GG at 6:14 AM No comments:
October 12, 2008
High Quality Images of MacBook and MacBook Pro Casings Leaked
A Chinese website MacX.cn has posted images of new MacBook and MacBook Pro cases. The images are high quality and we don’t have any doubt that they are the new casings for upcoming MacBook lineup. The images show that the optical drive will be on the right side for both models (like it is on present MacBooks). Read More
Posted by GG at 2:59 PM No comments:
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)